I have naturally dark brown hair and about 6 months ago, I died my hair a blue black (Garnier Nutrisse). I got sick of the color and half my hair grew out so I decided to switch it up. I’m going for a light ash blond with neutral brown lowlights. Initially I tried to remove the remaining blue black color using Color Oops and it lightened my hair a bit to a reddish tone. I then bleached my hair twice over the last three weeks the first time using Kaliedescope blue and a 20 developer, then toned using Wella T 18. It was brassy so I bleached it the second time using B2W and a 20 developer and toning with a Clairol pure white light beige toner. My hair is now bright yellow at the top and the middle and ends are brassy orange. I have been deep conditioning daily for the last two weeks and my hair is ready for a final bleaching before I give up and die it back to brown....my question is should I continue using the 20 developer or should I use a 40 this time? I plan to tone again using T18 once I bleach it again. Should I use the kaleidoscope again or the B2W?
I don’t recommend switching to 40vol after multiple bleachings. Bleach damage is cumulative and takes about a month to really show the damage. If you’re committed to going blonde, I would advise you wait a month to really baby your hair (all the moisture and repair masks, no/low heat styling etc) and check in and see how your hair is doing breakage wise and texture wise. If it’s still in good enough shape for another round of bleaching with 20vol then you can go for it but know that you might end up needing a trim to take off the damaged ends. As for going back to brown I would sincerely recommend going with a semi permanent direct dye in a natural shade (Adore makes some really nice ones and can be purchased from this site) and not box dye which uses very strong developers that can compound any damage issues.
*my mom says I’m so sweet and that’s why spiders keep biting me*
Thank you! I have a trip coming up in less than a week, and my hair looks horrible so waiting another two weeks to bleach it again isn’t really an option for me right now. I am going to try to bleach again today using the 20 developer. I purchased aPHogee repair treatment and have already used it once and will be using that after the bleaching. It works great.