Allergic Reaction from Bleach BathPosted 5 years, 3 months ago
Hello, new poster here but I've lurked for a long time. Tonight I did a bleach bath as per my usual products, Clairol pure white creme 20 and Ion Brilliance powder lightener, and shampoo. I put it on and my lavender hair went mint green instantly, which was fine since I'm going that way. But then I saw a rash on my jawline, then my face got red, then I noticed my scalp felt *weird. No way to describe it. While washing my jawline my face got super red, scalp was pounding, I jumped in the shower. While in the shower my scalp was numb and my face getting tighter. When I got out my face was swollen and very red, my hands itched like mad. I took an allergy pill which thankfully helped although my toes and feet are itching from standing in it in the shower ugh. I've used these products for years 'full strength' aka no shampoo. I searched here but no luck, maybe I didn't search right or I'm just that 'lucky' to be alone here with this. I did google and read of others with this happening. I don't see any PPD in the ingredients, I'm just not sure what happened? Any clue? Ammonia? Should I test each? I'm a bit afraid to now but if you think so I will to narrow it down. Prior to this I went to a salon and paid a fortune to get olaplex and just to have help evening it out as my hair is long, paid 380.00! :O I almost threw up, therefore doing it myself again. My husband thought maybe because of the olaplex, but that was in April.
Posted 5 years, 3 months ago
Hmm. If you've used that bleach multiple times before, I can't imagine why it would barley start causing you allergic reactions now, especially in such an aggressive manner. Are you always consistent with your ratios? If you just eyeball it every time, it's possible the last ratio of ingredients you used was too harsh. Or maybe you've just developed a sudden allergy to ammonia. Allergies change due to age and stress.
You said you were bleaching over lavender hair, and it turned green? It's possible that the oxidation caused an allergic reaction. What kind of hair dye did you use to get your lavender color?
What kind of shampoo did you use? It's possible the shampoo and bleach mixture caused problems as well.
You should get an allergy test to figure out what exactly you are allergic to, so you know what products to get in the future. I have similar problems. I'm not allergic to hair dye, but I have psoriasis on my scalp. It comes and goes, and I don't dye my hair during a flare up. But every once and a while, the bleach I used will cause it to flare up.
My point is, there are MANY factors to consider here. You're dealing with lots of different chemicals that could have caused numerous reactions. (Shampoo, bleach, developer, hair dye, residue from hair products, etc.) I think an allergy test would be a good first step.
by spookiPosted 5 years, 3 months ago
Allergies can develop at any time, and the more you expose yourself to a potential allergen the more likely you are to become allergic to it.
If you're feeling up to it patch test each part of your mix separately and see if you get a reaction from one. It could be a single one or it could be caused by the combination.
I had trouble with bleach baths last year due a particular shampoo.
Posted 5 years, 3 months ago
I used pravana, Ion and arctic fox for the lavender lol! The pravana and arctic fox were too pink, so I put Ion azure over. I have heard of ion purple turning green before, so it may be because of that? I don't know but it's a pretty mint green lol. I don't use any products other than argan oil. ..oh, and I do mix with measuring always. I'm 43 and have been bleaching/dying since I was 12 haha, so this was just really odd to me after all the 'science experiments' I've done.
Shampoo was Salon Selectives, it was a rando in the house, I don't use that brand, umm it says 'volumizing deep cleansing level 7'.
I so far did a patch test with the developer, i have a bit of dust of the lightener I can try. Would you do the developer + shampoo then maybe developer + lightener for a test? Oh, I guess shampoo and lightener too I guess....
by Wicked_PixiePosted 5 years, 3 months ago
There is also the possibility that the manufacturers have changed the ingredients in one of the products (unless you are using the exact same bottles of everything)
I did then what I knew then, & when I knew better, I did better.
— Maya Angelou
by PiscinePosted 5 years, 3 months ago
Spooki is right; allergies develop over subsequent exposures, never from the initial exposure. It's why many colorists develop PPD allergies. I highly suggest allergy testing since allergies can be life-threatening. Testing will also identify substances to which you can have cross-reactions.
Sweet freedom whispered in my ear...you're a butterfly...and butterflies are free to fly...fly away...
by DoOrDyePosted 5 years, 3 months ago
spooki wrote: Allergies can develop at any time, and the more you expose yourself to a potential allergen the more likely you are to become allergic to it. If you're feeling up to it patch test each part of your mix separately and see if you get a reaction from one. It could be a single one or it could be caused by the combination. I had trouble with bleach baths last year due a particular shampoo.
This. Allergies can develop suddenly and skin contact dermatitis can become more likely and increase in severity with repeated exposure. I developed an allergy to Nair out of nowhere and now have hospital worthy reactions if it comes near me. If your reaction wasn't just due to putting bleach on an irritated scalp, additional exposures may produce increasingly severe reactions. Depending on the allergy, you may be able to switch brands and be ok but possibly not.
by Jude StaffPosted 5 years, 3 months ago
Was it a brand new packet or one you had used before? I'm thinking along the lines of @wicked_pixie that the ingredients may have changed but it is also true that allergies can develop.
Please exercise caution before using this or similar products in future as subsequent reactions can be much more pronounced and dangerous.
I would contact the manufacturer and see if they have made any changes. It might help you narrow down the cause.
It's a lesson in always do a sensitivity test unfortunately
Jude (Site Admin)
**Help fight spam!**
Reply to any spammy forum post or comment with "@spam" to notify me of spam.
Posted 5 years, 3 months ago
They were all brand new. I've tried just the developer, the developer and the powder, then added the shampoo to it and nothing happened? I don't have enough powder to mix exact amounts.
hmmm, maybe I should try it on my neck? That's where I first saw the bumps, but I would think any skin would work, right? ...but true that, I'm always doing tests now! I've gooped so much on my head before without doing it.