Featured Product

Straightening bleached hair

pierat
Rating:

View pierat's timeline

Current Hair: Brownish

Posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Hi everyone Smile

I need to know what your opinion is on straightening hair that has been bleached. I used to straighten my hair about once a week when I used dyes like live xxl and I never had much trouble other than the first time after it was dyed.

When I bleached it I stopped straightening so often as it made it dry and fluffy and feel damaged.

I have now not bleached for about 3 months and used a good conditioner and I can straighten it with the same sleek effect as before it was bleached.

Now I want to compromise between having bright hair and straightening so please can I get some of your experiences eg if I only bleach the hair once fromnatural will that be ok? Is there a period of time you should dry hair naturally after bleaching? Thank you!

RulerLampClock
Rating:

View RulerLampClock's timeline

Current Hair: Faded blue and green (under brown)

You could try putting some kind of spray or serum for heat protection on before (when your hair's drying) and then use a good conditioner when you wash. You should be able to find stuff specifically for dyed hair, which usually means moisturizing and UV-protecting. I'd opt for towel-drying unless you need your hair dry in a hurry for work, or something.

/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\
When I rule the world, I'll plant flowers...

DropDeadRed
Rating:

View DropDeadRed's timeline

Current Hair: Dirty blonde

I never do anything else but blow-dry my hair. I don't have the patience for it and if I let it dry naturally it gets a bit wavy with lots of flyaways and looks awful.

I try to stay away from straightening, but I love it a lot, so I will do it for special occasions. As a matter of fact I do it always when it's freshly dyed to seal the colour in. Since I dye usually right after I've bleached the roots I don't find that straightening on the same day that you bleach is a problem.

pierat
Rating:

View pierat's timeline

Current Hair: Brownish

I don't generally blow dry my hair, it takes too long and I am never happy with the result!

I'm hoping when my hair is longer then it will weigh itself down more, but at this annoying inbetween stage I can only wear it loose (and be happy with it) if I straighten it Sad

VaLukeAraptor
Rating:

View VaLukeAraptor's timeline

Current Hair: some weird brown/blonde colour a salon did

First of all, bleached hair straightens at a lower temperature and stays better than unbleached hair, so find the right temperature.

And yes, straightening your hair does dry it out. The solution? Well, put a lot of moisture in!

As with bleached hair, i'm sure your used to using dry/damaged hair products to help it feel better?

In addition, try to use some leave in conditioner on your hair when its towel dried. I've recently started using coconut oil and that works well. As does silicon serum - running that through your hair when its wet really helps the look of the hair when its been straightened.

As mentioned above, if drying hair with heat use a heat protection serum over spray. Then when its dry, if your straighteneing it, use a spray then. No shame in using2 heat protectants.

Another important thing i'd say is NOT straightening the same section twice. This is where the most damage occurs in my opinion. If you have a problem piece of hair which doesn't usually go in one swipe, section it into small sections and do each section slowly, don't run it over a lot of times.

I've also found if my hairs pretty gross and needs washing soon or the next morning or something, i put leave in conditioner on the ends if they're damaged, it helps with keeping them moisturised as they lose moisture easier.

Hope this helps :)

aphrodite1987
Rating:

View aphrodite1987's timeline

my hair gets really dried out after being bleached and i find that if you use Aussies 3 minute miracle once a week it really helps then when ever you wash your hair between times use a conditioner for dry/damaged hair.

also as stated before get a good heat protection spray. i use toni and guy stuff (in the red can) and its amazing!! smells so good too :D

ickle_cat
Rating:

View ickle_cat's timeline

Current Hair: brown and purple ombre

Posted 4 years, 1 month ago

mix conditioner with water and put it into a spritz bottle. makes a good protection spray and doesn't cost too much

"although everything you own will be this colour too because it bleeds like an extra in 300" -bekki, 23/2/12

QMA
Rating:

View QMA's timeline

Current Hair: trying to fade my blue for green!

Posted 3 years, 9 months ago

you could also try some straightening shampoos, since you're in the UK i don't know what to recommend but i imagine you can find a shampoo that is supposed to help with keeping hair straight if not a protection serum like everyone mentioned would work.

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Purples & Brown

Just a gentle reminder about our policy on very old topics: http://haircrazy.info/forum/site-stuff/3147/

^ check out the date at the top of this topic. Smile
Feel free to start a new topic though.

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)

Babyrok
Rating:

View Babyrok's timeline

Current Hair: IDFK...

you should be using a straightening serum and heat protect. It will keep your hair sleek and soft. I always straighten my hair...bleached or not and I don;t have problems as long as I use those two products.

I make corsets....

First Page | Next Page | Last Page
Jump to page: 1 | 2