Log-in | Register

Featured Product

Diluting Hair Dye with Conditioner

ALucidReverie
Rating:

View ALucidReverie's timeline

Current Hair: Primarily Purple and Brown

Posted 3 years ago

Hey, I have seen a few people on this site mention diluting hair-dye with conditioner to get certain results.

I have never heard of this technique before and was wondering if anyone can give me a more detailed explanation of this technique and what it's purpose is?

Do you just mix hair-dye with conditioner and apply and rinse it out in shower as you normally would when using conditioner in the shower? Or do you leave it on the hair for 15 minutes or more like you would hair dye before rinsing it out in the shower?

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Purples & Brown

Posted 3 years ago

You can only do it with dyes like Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Crazy Color, Stargazer etc. but not with box dyes that you mix with developer.

You can use conditioner to dilute the colour and make it more pastel. Results vary a lot depending on the conditioner though so it's best to do a strand test first. If you need consistent results I recommend mixing with white toner from the same brand.

Basically you just mix your dye with conditioner to a shade roughly equivalent to your desired colour (about 1 shade darker seems to work best with most conditioners). Apply it to your hair as you would hair dye, so leaving it for a minimum of 15 minutes but usually longer. Rinse off as usual. The only exception to leaving it for more than 15 minutes would be if you were trying to achieve a very pastel shade which tends to darken slightly the longer you leave it.

Hope this helps!

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)

bhappyluv
Rating:

View bhappyluv's timeline

Current Hair: Brown :(

Posted 3 years ago

It's usually done to a) make the dye go a bit further, b)give a little extra help to our hair by dying and deep conditioning at the same time, c)refresh colour or d) to achieve a paler colour.
No matter what you're doing with it, it's usually a case of using your favourite conditioner (in my case it's this, http://www.tresemme.co.uk/Products/Protect/Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-Masque/) and then adding the dye to it, either a little, or alot depending on the shade desired etc.
If it's just to keep colour looking refreshed then it's used as a normal conditioner.
If doing any of the other things with it then it's used as the dyes are, leaving it on for 15 mins or more, then rinsed as usual.
Hope that helps and isn't too confusing or waffly :)

ickle_cat
Rating:

View ickle_cat's timeline

Current Hair: brown and purple ombre

Posted 3 years ago

as jude said, it can be used to make a lighter shade of the same colour. in which case you use it like normal hair dye.

bhappyluv mentioned it can make dye go a bit further, you might have read on here that some people found their dye wasn't "spreading well". adding conditioner tends to make it a bit more runny, so it can help if you find the dye is too thick to permeate your hair type. also good if you haven't got quite enough hair dye for your whole head.

bhappyluv also mentioned that you can use it to keep your colour topped up. if you find that you want a colour to stay vibrant and it's not doing that on it's own then you can put a bit of dye into your conditioner and use it every time you wash. doing this means you might only have to dye once a month instead of once every two weeks, for example.

"although everything you own will be this colour too because it bleeds like an extra in 300" -bekki, 23/2/12

LadyLinkage
Rating:

View LadyLinkage's timeline

Current Hair: platinum blonde

Posted 3 years ago

word of advice, use "cone" free conditioner. silicones prevent the dye from sticking as well on your hair. look for "dimethicone" in the ingredients. or anything that ends with "cone". i've found that suave naturals coconut conditioner works well and is super cheap.

*JESUS FREAK*

xnoworneverx
Rating:

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm trying to get my hair a dark grey color (think charcoal). is it possible to dilute black dye with conditioner or toner? would that work? it seems as if it's hit or miss with conditioner, but what about with toner? i'm worried about it pulling too blue or green, though.
any thoughts?!

HopelessDeviate
Rating:

View HopelessDeviate's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: L'Oreal Majirouge in Dark Burgundy Brown

Posted 1 year, 10 months ago

xnoworneverx, please start a new thread if you have a question.
Thank you.
^_^

HOPELESS