HairCrazy.com
Log-in | Register

Featured Product

How to dye dreads?

ihsus
Rating:

View ihsus's timeline

Current Hair: My hair is currently gaining it's natural colour which is light chocolate brown

Posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Hello everyone. I'm currently letting my hair grow, it was black but now the hairdye is fading and it shows my natural color a bit (which I dislike).
I'm going to dreadlock my hair pretty soon. So I want to know how you dye your dreads. Is it just like dying your "normal" hair?
Please share your experiences with dreadlocks and dying dreads with me, as it is my first time having dreads :3

katox
Rating:

View katox's timeline

Current Hair: Little shortie bob ^_^

I imagine (having never had dreads) it will be like colouring normal hair except that they soak up a lot more dye!

Have a chat with @pinklikepussy as she's had different coloured dreads for ages (though recently she chopped them all off). Smile

Edit: Her profile page - http://haircrazy.info/account/profile/pinklikepussy/

-----
(BoOop!}--- \\(' v ')//

ihsus
Rating:

View ihsus's timeline

Current Hair: My hair is currently gaining it's natural colour which is light chocolate brown

thank you so much, I'll talk to her! :)

ickle_cat
Rating:

View ickle_cat's timeline

Current Hair: brown and purple ombre

having dyed my dreads, yes, exactly as you would your normal hair.

grab the dye on a gloved hand and palm-roll it over the dread, squishing it to make sure it gets into the hair rather than just coating the outside.

word of warning: if you're using the conditioning, direct dyes (bright colours) over freshly formed dreads it can cause them to un-ravel a bit, so they may need a back-comb after dying.

Some other random things I learned having dreads:
- wash your hair with bicarbonate of soda mixed with water, if you can't get hold of this, use washing up liquid (dish soap) or clarifying shampoo
- don't use wax, it just seems to cause issues
- back-comb, palm-roll, repeat forever
- you will have a huge, fluffy mess on your head for a bit, invest in a crochet hook and use it to tighten your dreads (the best thing I did while I had dreads)
-super-clean knotted hair. wash it and tighten up the knots, it doesn't need anything else (unless you're colouring them)
- super-damaged hair leads to brilliant dreadlocks, bleach the hell out of it!
happy dreadlocks!
http://haircrazy.info/timelines/ickle_cat/2011/9/7/18543/

"although everything you own will be this colour too because it bleeds like an extra in 300" -bekki, 23/2/12