Log-in | Register

Featured Product

Hair oils and bleaching?

xCrazyColorKidx
Rating:

View xCrazyColorKidx's timeline

Current Hair: Yellow Mohawk!

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I have read quite a few times on here about putting oil in your hair before bleaching and I had a few questions about it.
1. What oil would be best? Olive oil is the easiest to get ahold of, is it worth it to use something else?
2. Just how much less damage would you say there is when you use oil?
3. How saturated should your hair be?
4. Does it have to be straight oil, or can it be a store bought "oil treatment" with possibly other ingredients?

I want to bleach my hair, but I don't know if my hair will be able to handle another bleaching very well, so I'm hoping this oil thing will work out!

Be very open and honest with who and what you are. If people still like you, fine, if not, that's their problem.

dookie
Rating:

View dookie's timeline

Current Hair: PIZZA!

1. i usually apply olive oil when bleaching because it's not solid like coconut oil and it reaches my whole hair and scalp with no efforts. beside of this i know that "coconut oil can protect your hair in a way olive oil can't do", but i'll let coconut-oil fans speak because i don't know the details.
2. my hair isn't too dry afterwards, oil helps keeping the condition. sadly i didn't know this trick when i bleached my whole head the first time so i just have been doing my roots like this, what i'm certain of is that there's no itching and my hair feels softer than it would be with just straight bleaching.
3. talking about olive oil, i pour some oil in a bowl and i apply to my roots with my tint brush to make sure my scalp and roots are evenly covered, then i apply some on the rest of hair with my hands or i just soak it in that.
4. in my opinion straight oil is better than some oil treatments for this kind of thing. i've used deep conditioner before bleaching, though, but i prefer the first one.

how many times have you bleached your hair till now? some say not to bleach your hair more than three times. if your hair feels dry, deep condition it for a while, apply hot oil treatments to let it recover a bit, if you can wait a month to let it rest do it. then you can just go over with a bleach bath.

because fuck you, that's why!

still_larva
Rating:

View still_larva's timeline

Current Hair: virgin medium blonde, inverted badass bob

I actually have used grapeseed cooking oil for this purpose, mostly because I can not get my hair greasy enough for bleaching in natural way (hair washing addict, I just love washing my hair), not sure how much difference it makes, as I bleached with vol10 to begin with, but at least scalp deffinately felt better.

CyndeeCyanide
Rating:

View CyndeeCyanide's timeline

Current Hair: The orange of bleached out henna.

I use coconut oil on my hair after reading a thread on the Long Hair Community forums where a user found research suggesting that coconut oil can help reduce peroxide damage. I do find that my hair feels a bit less damaged, but I can't really give a proper report as my hair is too overbleached to see too much of a difference. I do know that coconut oil is one of the few oils that can actually plasticize the hair cortex, another one being argan oil, I believe. This means that it is able to strengthen hair in a way that most oils are not able to. Olive oil would provide protection for your scalp, but likely would not give the same sort of hair protection as coconut oil does.

For application, I'll work enough through my hair for it to be thoroughly coated.

I wouldn't recommend using an oil treatment as those are frequently mostly mineral oil & silicone, which aren't going to actually do much of anything. I'd stick to pure coconut oil.

Here's the LHC thread I mentioned in case anyone is curious: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495

Wicked_Pixie
Rating:

View Wicked_Pixie's timeline

Coconut oil has the best properties for protecting your hair during any peroxide based process. Place the jar in a bowl of hot water and it quickly becomes liquid, then apply to your hair and scalp, really saturating each strand. Leave for at least an hour before applying the bleach or dye. It has also been proven to improve the uptake of bleach, so you may find you don't need to leave it on for as long. Argan oil has similar protective properties, but coconut is better and much cheaper.
You can get it easily in health food shops or in some supermarkets for cooking.
HOWEVER if your hair is already damaged, don't put it through another process, even with coconut oil. Stop using any heat on it and do regular deep conditioning treatments with coconut oil and olive oil alternately. Get a good trim and get it back in good shape before you attempt to bleach again.
I recently did two brief bleach baths a week apart with coconut oil and the condition of my hair is unchanged. My hairs overall condition has improved hugely since I started using coconut oil as a conditioner and styling aid. The improvement was noticeable within about 3 months. I did give up hairdryers and straightening irons too, which would also have contributed.

I did then what I knew then, & when I knew better, I did better.
— Maya Angelou

DemstarAus
Rating:

View DemstarAus's timeline

Current Hair: Natural Brown to Auburn ombré

Because the climate here is warm, I never have trouble with coconut oil being hard to use... it's already melted. Also I prefer the smell to olive oil.
Some people don't notice any difference to their hair with oil before bleaching, but I personally do. I find that my hair is not as dry and scratchy after bleaching, which makes it easier to work with because I don't like to brush it after bleach.
I usually slap it on so that I can comb it and it stays - imagine 40's mobsters and brill cream - I haven't had a problem with even tones from bleaching over that much oil.
I don't know about 'hair oil' treatments, but I'd say there's no point using anything expensive like argan oil or whatever because from what I can tell the bleach destroys the oil. In my experience the oil 'takes up' some of the damage but I don't know how accurate that really is.

I want crazy hair again but I have to stay true to my course!

xCrazyColorKidx
Rating:

I'm mostly worried about the last two inches or so of my hair(which have been bleached at least four times), the rest should be fine.
I asked about the oil treatment stuff because I found this http://www.sallybeauty.com/argan-oil/ONEONL16,default,pd.html hopefully the link is allowed.
Part of the description says this: "Color/Chemical Process: Prior to treatment massage a small amount of oil evenly into hair. Do not rinse. Then mix approximately 1/4 teaspoon of oil with the color, highlighting, straightening or relaxer solution and process as usual. One 'n Only Argan Oil increases absorption of product into hair for enhanced shine and depth of color. " I would instead put the oil on my hair before bleaching, and not mix it with the bleach though.
So what I'm thinking is try to find coconut oil, if I can't, buy ^ this stuff, and use that for when I bleach. If my ends are too damaged, cut them off and deal with the bit of loss. I think it would be worth it to get rid of this brown. I already tried a dye remover (my hair was black before), and now my hair smells bad and is just brown. :(
Does that sound like it will work? Or should I just trim the dry ends before damaging them further and then do the bleach? I've been thinking of this dilemma for over a week now and I can't decide.

Be very open and honest with who and what you are. If people still like you, fine, if not, that's their problem.

SoraAdorable
Rating:

View SoraAdorable's timeline

I agree with Wicked_Pixie's advice for already damaged hair. :)

But yes, I use coconut oil before I bleach. I saturate my hair well, and let it sit for at least an hour before applying the bleach. It does seem to help with the condition, but I can't say whether or not it cuts down bleaching time as I haven't noticed a difference. My natural color is really hard to lift for some reason.

xCrazyColorKidx
Rating:

gah, my link won't work for some reason.

lolitadeath
Rating:

View lolitadeath's timeline

Current Hair: Light blonde to golden.

Hm, interesting. Would coconut oil help with colour-uptake from permanent-colours as well or just bleaching?

In search of the holy grail of red hair.

First Page | Next Page | Last Page
Jump to page: 1 | 2