Log-in | Register

Featured Product

the BEST bleach

BunnyWabbit
Rating:

View BunnyWabbit's timeline

Current Hair: aveda natural red shades

Posted 7 years, 3 months ago

What is it? Things to keep in mind are that I'm in the states (ready access to Sallys), I will spare no expense if it means less damage, and I don't like box dyes since I have no idea what the level of developer is. I'm completely comfortable with professional brands (I've been doing my own hair for years just haven't ever used bleach on it, just on extensions and other people). I've got semi black/dark dark brown color in my hair, but I'm only doing a small section of bangs and fringe. Any other thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated.

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Purples & Brown

I like L'Oreal Platinum. It's quite pricey but I find it's less damaging than a standard bleach.
Instead of powder you buy a kind of waxy paste. The developer is much creamier than normal developers. It's pretty hard to mix up but the fizzing feeling you get when the bleach is applied is much less. It doesn't expand as much as standard bleach and I find I don't get a tight scalp. Since switching to it I've had much less breakage through bleaching so in my opinion it's worth the money.

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)

BunnyWabbit
Rating:

that sounds great - I seem to be having trouble locating where it can be purcahsed (even with a cosmotology license) in the states; any suggestions how to or maybe something similar?

Vicious_Badger
Rating:

Current Hair: Brown and blue

I use Blonde Brilliance (from sally's) and it leaves my hair feeling pretty good. I have extremely thick dark brown hair and bleach it to pale yellow most of the time.
Today I used Jerrome Russel on my friends hair. But he has medium blonde hair so it was much easier to lighten. But last time I lightened his hair it was very damaged (I used some 40 vol) and this time it came out just as light and very soft and shiny still. It's also cheaper because it comes with separate bleach powder and peroxide instead of a box with extras that I don't need.

YOu can probably find some l'oreal product at a drug store that might work well.

BunnyWabbit
Rating:

actually the L'oreal Platinum is a professional only line - wouldn't be at a drug store unfornatley.
I'll try the blonde brilliance my hair is a super dark brown (everyone I know that bleaches is lighter - hence my problem with others suggestions).

Should I try to strip the color some in the area I plan on bleaching first? I figure if I do that, I'll need to bleach for less time right? I pretty much know what I'm doing here, just nervous and need some reassurance!

Aiken
Rating:

Current Hair: Varied green

I've tried a few and, so far, I like L'oreal Quick Blue powder. I buy it in 1lb bulk tubs from Sally's. They don't always keep them on the shelf, but they usually have some in the back.

---

Tip for short hair that can afford to be bleached full-length each time:

Ever since I first tried a bleach wash (1:1:1 of 40vol developer, bleach, and shampoo), that's the way I bleach my hair, period. It's soooo much easier. I put on gloves, get in the shower, get my hands wet and ruffle some moisture into my hair, and then immediately brush the mixture onto various bits of my head. Exact coverage doesn't matter, because then I lather it up through the ends and work it down into the roots. Leave it 20 minutes and it's usually just as good as what I got for painstakingly applying 30vol with a brush and leaving it on for half an hour, but with way *less* scalp burn, and I don't miss spots.

I think one of the reasons the wash is effective is because it stays moist, partially because I'm in the shower, and partially because I smush it around occasionally while it's working.

My natural hair is pretty dark, by the way. Not black, but people sometimes think it is when I'm not in direct sunlight.

The only down side to the bleach wash is that it's kinda hard to watch TV in the shower. :)

Edit: Here's the official haircrazy article on the subject, which promotes a decidedly-gentler process than mine, so maybe it's a better way to go for most people: http://haircrazy.info/BeginnerGuides/bleach-bathing/

Vicious_Badger
Rating:

Current Hair: Brown and blue

BunnyWabbit wrote:
actually the L'oreal Platinum is a professional only line - wouldn't be at a drug store unfornatley.
I'll try the blonde brilliance my hair is a super dark brown (everyone I know that bleaches is lighter - hence my problem with others suggestions).

Should I try to strip the color some in the area I plan on bleaching first? I figure if I do that, I'll need to bleach for less time right? I pretty much know what I'm doing here, just nervous and need some reassurance!

Oh whoops. I didn't know that.
I think this may be the stuff Jude was talking about
http://us.lorealprofessionnel.com/_en/_us/products/fam_product.aspx?Catcode=Axe_Products^Category_haircolor^Family_paste&prdcode=AE1&

(Copy and paste. The link isn't working)
But i still have no clue where you can get it.

BunnyWabbit
Rating:

thanks for the tips and links! I'm doing it tonight I'll post pics when its done :) I think I'm either going with one of the L'oreals that can be found at Sallys or it turns out my favorite line of Clairol professional color has a bleach kit so I might try that. cross your fingers for me!

then tomarrow I might add a fun color but we'll see since I need to go around and apply for jobs now that I'm healthier - but that might need to wait since I'm definately not fully healthly.

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Purples & Brown

Yup that's the stuff.
I got mine from Sally.

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)

Aiken
Rating:

Current Hair: Varied green

Posted 7 years, 2 months ago

Jude,

Do you use the regular platinum, or the ammonia-free platinum?

I'm guessing with my dark brown hair, I'd need the regular.

First Page | Next Page | Last Page
Jump to page: 1 | 2