HairCrazy.com
Log-in | Register

Featured Product

PLEASE help! Dye won't take to roots

Quintillian
Rating:

Posted 3 years, 8 months ago

I've dyed my hair twice in the past two weeks using Manic Panic Atomic Turquoise and Beyond the Zone Huckleberry Blue and the first time I put it on my already super light blonde hair without first bleaching and it came out great-everywhere but the roots. They stayed a greenish-brown for about a day before fading to blonde with a teensy bit of green. The second time I bleached my roots first and got my hair almost white blonde before putting the dye in, and this time I added a bit of green to the dye to make it more of a dark teal and the color looks fantastic...

BUT it STILL won't take to my roots. Now they're a very fine blonde with a tint of blue-green, even though I left the dye in for about 12 hours.

How can I get the dye to stay on my roots?

First try

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Red, Purple, Violet

You need to figure out what's different about the lengths than the roots. Was it dyed before with a permanent blonde dye? Has it had any other treatments that could cause it to become more porous?

Generally if a dye isn't taking it's because the hair hasn't been bleached enough. If it was me I'd do another short bleaching to make sure it's light enough for the colour you've chosen.

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)

bekki
Rating:

View bekki's timeline

Current Hair: Short, black/red

I helped my friend dye his hair once and this happened. We worked out that oils from his scalp were stopping the dye from taking as well there, so he washed with a clarifying shampoo and applied more dye and it took fine.

I think this is quite common that dye fades quicker there, because generally roots are healthier than the lengths even if you bleach them, but it shouldn't happen so quickly.

Awesome colour by the way!

ElectroKitty
Rating:

View ElectroKitty's timeline

Current Hair: Bluex4

My hairdresser told me that it was a common problem that dye doesn't take to hair, because the hair might be too damaged/exhausted to take to the roots. So if I were you, I'd wait a few days then try again.