Log-in | Register

Featured Product

Scalp burn!

tooblueforyou
Rating:

View tooblueforyou's timeline

Current Hair: Pink & purple

Posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Anyone have advice on what to do if you burn your scalp with bleach? I did it a week ago. It doesn't hurt any more, but I freaked out a bit. My friend who's in Biology said just to leave it alone and not apply pressure, so I tried to not brush it near the roots, and hold my brush near the roots when I brushed it.

We need a what-to-do advice thing on this site. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done it.

bekki
Rating:

View bekki's timeline

Current Hair: Short, black/red

well it's basically chemical burn .... theres not really anything you can do other than leave it alone. There are various burn creams and stuff which can calm the pain a bit.
Your mum was right to say don't apply pressure ... and you should never use ice packs on your head. I think just wash it in luke warm water, try not to touch it or scrape it with brushes and stear clear of hair products for a while.
I'm no expert but i am a first aider, and thats how you would treat any burns on the head.

CyndeeCyanide
Rating:

View CyndeeCyanide's timeline

Current Hair: Joker green.

When I got minor chemical burns on my scalp from bleach, I mostly left it alone for a little less than a week. Then, when any raw feeling was gone, I used Lush's Hair Doctor scalp mask. It really worked wonders and took the pain and itching right out. Very soothing and cooling on the head as well as very moisturizing on my fried hair. I really recommend it if you can get to a Lush shop and your head needs some TLC.

tooblueforyou
Rating:

View tooblueforyou's timeline

Current Hair: Pink & purple

The problem with burn cream is that it's impossible to get it all over your scalp with long hair in the way everywhere. Is Lush's Hair Doctor scalp mask easy to put through your hair? I don't know if the brand Lush's is sold here at all, but maybe there's something similar no matter where you go.

HopelessDeviate
Rating:

View HopelessDeviate's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: L'Oreal Majirouge in Dark Burgundy Brown

I don't know where you live in Canada, but there are quite a few Lush stores here in Toronto.
You can always order on-line from them too though.
I think any good conditioner would work well, especially if you leave it in for awhile.
But like the others said, there isn't much else you can do.
I received chemical burns after bleaching my hair a few weeks ago and it just went away on its own.

HOPELESS

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Purples & Brown

I've had a few little burns from this before too.

For anyone bleaching their hair, the best thing you can do is if you feel any intense heat when bleaching or tightness go and shampoo it off immediately.

It should heal up really nicely on its own. Personally I think it's best not to put creams on and let the air get at it but if you're in any doubt about it ask someone with medical knowledge. If it feels tight and itchy an antiseptic cream would help alleviate this.
Keep an eye on it to make sure there's no infection. If it weeps or smells funny go and see a doctor or nurse about it. Also see someone if there are more than a few tiny spots that are burnt.

Last thing is avoid picking it and be very careful to brush or comb around the area to avoid scarring.

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)

pierat
Rating:

View pierat's timeline

Current Hair: Brownish

I don't think I've ever burnt my head that bad but if my head feels sore and itchy I massage in aqueous cream (special moisteriser for ecsema but the important thing is it's not scented stuff) and then leave it and soak my head in the bath before washing it - this will also make sure all the bleach is definitelty washed out.

If your head is sore, it may also be from moving your hair about on your head - most people may know this already but changing the direction your hair lies where it comes out of your skin such as changing the side your parting is on and clipping your fringe back can give you a headache.