HairCrazy.com
Log-in | Register

Featured Product

Removing the yellow from bleached hair.

andieplease
Rating:

Posted 5 years, 7 months ago

For the longest time I've had nuclear red hair. The top was unbleached natural blonde with the red and the underside was bleached with a mix of nuclear red and napalm orange. It was nice, but being called Paramore got to be annoying. I let my hair fade for two months and then bought the bleach. All it took was 20 minutes and all the color had been pulled out of the top. The color came out fine but it was very yellow. I didn't dare to bleach the underside because it had previously been bleached. The day after bleaching I got my hair cut and the next day I used Special effects toner mixed with about two teaspoons of Redken deep conditioner. I wrapped my head with plastic and then a towel and relaxed for the next 5 hours.
I thought that the yellow would be pretty much gone, but my hair is still a bit too golden for my tastes. Vitamin C style. Do you have any suggestions on how to hide more of the yellow? I'd prefer not to use any permanent color to get a neutral blonde. But if so the stylist reported no damage. Surprise!

My other problem is the underside which still has a macaroni orange tint. (Which is brighter towards the roots.) What color would you suggest aside from any red? I have many of the different special effects colors, but I would prefer a blue, green or purple. It?s kind of ridiculous to ask for that because of the obvious murky results. But do you guys have any solutions?

Over all I'm not too upset with the results but I'd still prefer to remove the orange and tone the yellow.
Any help would be very very appreciated.

Before the bleach.
After the bleach without the toner. (My hair is just up in the back)

xdefylifex
Rating:

View xdefylifex's timeline

Current Hair: Brown.

im not here to help but to ask you: hwo yellow was your hair before toning it?
was it like a lemon yellow or...?

andieplease
Rating:

Haha I?m a nerd, I don?t know how it double posted. : )
The top was as light as the inside of a banana and the ends were more of a sunny yellow.

jayemm
Rating:

View jayemm's timeline

Current Hair: blonde

imactually surprised you got the red out so easily did you only bleach it once? what brand bleach and red hair dye did you use, my only suggestion would be more bleach and then toner or just use toning shampoos like shimmer lights if you dont want your hair any lighter

HopelessDeviate
Rating:

View HopelessDeviate's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: L'Oreal Majirouge in Dark Burgundy Brown

I can tell by your photo that that the toner didn't work because your hair wasn't light enough after bleaching.
If you don't want to bleach your hair again I think a purple should cover it okay, but I'd do a strand test first.
But if you really want blue or green you're going to have to bleach it again, especially the darker bits.

HOPELESS

NooraViolent
Rating:

View NooraViolent's timeline

Current Hair: Natural black and violet.

What Hopeless said. You should also stay away from blue-toned purples (violet) and stick to red-toned ones, unless you're willing to bleach again.

Jude
Rating:

View Jude's timeline

Hair Crazy Staff

Current Hair: Purples & Brown

I also think it's not light enough for the toner to work. Special Effects toner should be used direct so mixing it with conditioner probably diluted its toning power.

If you want to stay blond I'd recommend going for a permanent blond which should even out the tone, otherwise another 5 or 10 minutes of bleaching should get it lighter.

I can't quite see from the photo but if your hair is still quite yellow at the sides then I think your only other choice than red would be green. Go for a bluish green like SFX Sonic Green which should cover yellow ok. If it's more on the orange side I would definitely do a strand test first or you could end up with a nasty shade of green.

--
Jude (Site Admin)

*Support the site & shop at HairCrazy.com!*
We stock Pravana, Special Effects, Manic Panic, Directions, Stargazer, Crazy Color, Adore + more!

(International orders welcome!)